Saturday, September 15, 2012

Wingback Repurposed


I am so excited! I just got my wingback in from the upholsterer and I love it! She did a great job, and while I originally started this up-cycle project as a learning  exercise, Im glad I forked over the money and let a professional work her magic. I did paint the legs myself!

It all started when I found this old clunker at Goodwill a few months ago for $15. I could not say no!


I decided I would learn the art of upholstery via my friend Ashley, who is a very skillful craftsman in this category. So I started the long, tedious, and sometime painful chore of stripping the old chair down to the frame. This took...forever. I suggest you try this at some point in your life. I was not a fan. But I knew it had to be done. There was no way I was keeping any of that old batting, fabric, or foam. Gross.  If you ever have any "found treasures" reupholstered, I strongly suggest talking with your upholsterer in detail. Many will only upholsterer over the old... which in my opinion is gross. There are all kinds of gross little creatures, smells, and dust living under the fabric. Plus, cushions break down over time and the form can get smushy due to that. So while your going through the hassel...do it right.



Then came the process of fabric shopping. I love taking advantage of living in the furniture capitol of the world. So much upholstery is done right here in the triad, mainly High Point of course, which makes the discount fabric stores amazing! 
I went a little overboard as usual and found some great prints....but settled on this wonderful Robert Allen geometric linen.


Well, turns out my bestie Ashley got the chance to move out West so I had to cut my upholstery lesson short. But there's plenty of time to learn! After calling around, I took my chair to a local upholsterer and she had it back to me in less than 2 weeks! Check out the transformation!


1 comment:

  1. This is fantastic! If you ever need a volunteer to hand over their furniture as a practice, let me know! ;)

    ReplyDelete

i love when you comment! thanks for joining in!